Nine critical factors for elite sporting success have been pinpointed in the largest study of elite sport policy to have ever been undertaken.
The six-year project involved research teams from 15 countries – including sports scientists from Victoria University, 3,142 top level athletes, 1,376 elite coaches and 241 high-performance directors.
The study identified the following nine pillars as leading to elite sporting success:
- Financial support
- Structure and governance in elite sport
- Sports participation
- Talent identification and development
- Post athletic career support
- Training facilities
- Coach education and support
- International competition
- Scientific research and innovation
These findings could be used to inform training, sports management and sponsorships.
[img source] Michael Dawes (CCA2.0).
The above story is based on materials provided by Victoria University.